Thursday, May 05, 2005


Här fanns det minsann en form av samstämmighet. Spännande. Undrar om det betyder något.

"My propositions are elucidatory in this way: he who understands me finally recognizes them as senseless, when he has climbed out through them, on them, over them. (He must so to speak throw away the ladder, after he has climbed up on it.)

He must surmount these propositions; then he sees the world rightly."

(Ur Ludwig Wittgensteins Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus)

*

"[Joan Retallack]: ... Would you give some examples of specific pieces of art or performances that changed the way you saw things, that were models for you in some sense.

[John Cage]: Yes. The first one that I remember is very striking. I was in a gallery looking at the early '40s white paintings of Mark Tobey, and in particular one which had no representational elements at all, which was just white writing. And I left the gallery, which was then on 57th Street, and I went down to Madison Avenue - I think the bus then went in both directions - I was waiting for the bus and I happened to look at the pavement I was standing on and I couldn't tell the difference between that and the Tobey. Or I had the same pleasure looking at the pavement. And yet I was, I was determined - I was very poor at the time - and I was determined to buy the Tobey, on the installment plan, which I did. I paid five dollars a week for about two years. And yet I had learned from Tobey himself, and then from his painting, that every place you look is the same thing. You don't really need the Tobey. (laughs) But you need it to tell you that, I guess.

JR: To remind you.

JC: To transform you. ..."

(Ur Musicage. John Cage in Conversation with Joan Retallack)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home